28 May 2008

Either you're VIN or you're OUT

I'm Out... and can't get VIN.

Ok, so for those who don't know, VIN is the Veterinary Information Network. It's been around since 1991 to service the vet industry and their support personnel. It's a database jammed packed with information, chat logs, educational and clinical information... and has a searchable dB of documents.

I have a vet within my family. I've asked if they would log in and search for articles on Ketamine, or if they'd allow me to do a search. When I explained why I wanted access my request was ignored. That's been several weeks ago and I am still steaming over it. It feels a bit like a conspiracy of sorts. There is a definite unwillingness to go against the grain, go against other vets, go against typical, usual protocol.

I asked a vet recently if they had any idea why the vet we used with Gimli - or their vet techs that they relied on to talk to owners - did not, in any way, suggest an alternative to Ketamine. I asked the clinic we used about an alternative fifty different ways and was met with the same answer. There wasn't an alternative... which is a falsehood. As many readers or "owners" of pets may also do, I had a list of questions that I asked prior to committing to the dental procedure.

Here are the questions I asked:
  • What is the process, and are there any risks?
  • Is there other alternative to sedation? And is your sedation considered safe?
  • Can you use a constraining blanket rather than “twilight” sedation?
  • Are there other options to a sedated dental that can be done at home?
  • Has your clinic EVER lost a patient during a dental?
  • Will a blood test and light physical be done prior to the procedure?
And, here are the answers I received (yes, I logged my phone call with the vet tech):
  • the risks were low
  • no other alternative was available or suggested in regards to the anesthesia
  • a constraining apparatus could not be used
  • “twilight” sedation meant that the patient would “barely be under”
  • the clinic had NEVER lost a patient.
Why was Isoflurane or Sevoflurane not suggested? (By the way, readers, Haloflurane is a Ketamine derivative, so steer clear).
Vets know and use gas as an alternative to injectible anesthesia, it's not uncommon or odd to ask for alternate induction agents. Here's what one vet said - and I'm paraphrasing:

"...Most vet clinics have a standard protocol that they follow for surgical procedures. The staff, vet tech, and doctors all know the standard protocol extrememly well. When something outside this standard is used it causes the vet, vet techs, and staff more time and energy because they are not as familiar with it..."

Therefore, this vet concluded that an alternative was not offered to me because it would have caused that particular vet and clinic to go outside their "norm".

That... is NOT acceptable.


No comments: