13 May 2008

Mentality & Attitude

In looking for another vet for our Sphnyx I have slammed into stumbling block after stumbling block. The names on those blocks are Mentality & Attitude. The mentality and attitude I've run across in my area is that cats are cats. Vets, used to only using one type of anesthesia, seem unwilling to use anything else, or won't consider using something else because, "they've used it in their practice for years and years." The problem with that is that they are accepting that deaths are "normal". That's not always the case. With Gimli, his immediate death would have been avoided had the vet not used Ketamine. Even with a flurry of questions from me regarding the dental procedure / safety she still did not take the time to investigate or offer another form of anesthesia. Why? I don't suppose I'll ever know. This vet is not the kind to accept accountability ... on her own. With my help, she may have to.

What causes this way of thinking? Is it ego? Ignorance? Mediocratity? Believe me, in this area of the world...it's out there. It's prevalent. It's disturbing. It's frustrating.... BUT... it's surmountable. I'm not giving up hope that there's some vet within decent driving distance of us that will be willing to work with us, learn about our breed, and be a conscientious professional. I hope I'm not being naive.

Sadly we, as pet owners (who's really owned here, anyway?), don't have laws to protect us or our pets. Our pets only have one voice... ours. It's our duty to speak up for them and hold vets accountable for lack of basic professionalism and courtesy. The mentality and attitudes of many that I've interviewed these last several weeks has been eye-opening and distressing. Hopefully I can find the perfect vet and clinic for our family of Sphynx.

Here are some observations and suggestions if you find yourself in a similar situation.

-- Ask about the drugs they're using and don't settle for statements like, "We've used it for years", or "It's the industry standard."
-- Ask if it's the right drug for YOUR breed.
-- Ask them to verify or do a little research and then ask to see what they found.
-- Take and active part. Do some research, and don't make my mistake and trust your vet to follow through after you question them. Make sure.
-- If your vet refuses or balks at working with you, then fire them as your vet.


Wouldn't it be great if we had:
    • a protocol fact sheet or info packet with every Sphynx sold as a pet or show cat
    • an organized effort w/in the breed councils to promote and distribute these protocols both online and in print
    • better communication with the vets we use and a willingness to challenge them to up their knowledge of exotics, like Sphynx and Devons.
    • better laws to protect pets as living things, not property
    • advocacy information we can send to vets, and drug companies when dangers are found
    • a way to provide all SX health records to the breed council, or some other entity, so that information can be gathered to better maintain the health and lifespan of the SX breed.

At the most primal level I am referring to behaviour that allows us to be proactive rather than reactive in regards to the health and welfare of the Sphynx (and other similar) breed. Just thoughts I've had today as I have tried to find a vet.

Mentality & Attitude status: Zilch

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are not only an amazing pet owner you are also a great writer! I was very moved by Gimlis blog. I think the fact sheet idea is great (a standard protocol to be given with every sphynx). Almost all breeders have a fact sheet but I have found that they are all different!! Which is confusing to vets and pet owners alike. It would be great if your new vet would be willing to type up something like that, since she has agreed to do the research anyway it shouldn't be much more than copy and paste! Also, it may be a good Idea to have someone explain it in lamens terms after the fact...I know all Sphynx owners are super smart but we can't all interpret medical jargain :)

Glad the crusade is going well!!!
Amanda (from FLICKR!!)

Sphynx Minx said...

Thank you, Amanda. I appreciate your comments. Great idea to present to the new vet, too. I will most definitely do that.